Friday, June 27, 2014

The Man Behind the Mask

So after my first post, I got all excited to finally broadcast all my ideas and videos and have this creative medium I could "play" in, and of course, my computer battery died. I had to order a new one, and by the time it had arrived, I was in the midst of a life changing solid week of batshitcrazy, as I like to call it. The batshitcrazy led up to me leaving for two weeks on a trip, so I felt like I had abandoned my new baby. But here I am coddling it to sleep. Coddling is a word right? I know nothing about babies.  Anyway, life kinda got crazy for me decision-making wise and opportunity wise. and everything didn't turn out exactly how I wanted. But the bottom line, is that's how life works. You have to stay glamorous and happy and work through those obstacles, to create a path for yourself. Not necessarily the "right" path or the "best" path but the path perfect for you.

Every now and then little things out everything into perspective, and above all, it's all an adventure. Try what you love, if it doesn't work out, try again. You'll find your happy place whether you went for a straight shot or happens to stumble right into it. Hopefully not because of vodka.

This week made me think of everyone's hopes and dreams and badassery. You might have already seen clips from it on the internet, but here's the video of Jim Carrey's amazing commencement speech at MUM(where they train English mothers?) and how he inspires everyone thought laughter and fantastic wisdom. 


Jim Carrey has been by far one of my comedic role models for probably a high percentage of my life. I first fell in comedy love watching him on The Mask. Hands down, blew my mind. Then later seeing him as the Riddler and on Dumb and Dumber, and was absolutely floored at his ability to (sometimes literally) transform into a human cartoon, with such amazing  facial expressions and vocal range of pitches and sounds. He was the goofiest of the goofy. I felt the need to watch him over and over again, not imitating him or trying to be funny at all, just soaking in all that charisma and quick wit he had. Hoping to one day have the same. And around the age I was already admiring people like Robin Williams and Will Smith who are also huge influences in my love for comedic acting, so I just added him to that list of that outstanding ever-so-rare now physical comedy, that just exudes happiness towards everyone. Okay, sorry I'm done with my comedygasm. Going back to the video!

He goes on to discuss how we are more than just mere people living in our own bodies, which is an interesting concept. To remember to use out surroundings and the resources around hs. Maybe he meant more towards the spiritual aspect of things. I'm not a spiritual or transcendent person at all, but the way I see it, if Jim Carrey and John Lennon were down with it, go on with yo bad selves ;) Most importantly, I'm sharing this video because of the message of doing what you love. Moreso than that, believing in yourself to do what you love. That even if you aren't in the place you want to be right now, or not all details are ironed about every aspect of your life, it'll resolve itself all in due time. Kicking ass in life is way more important. Do what you enjoy, what can make you consistently happy, and what can lead you live a life that you can say, damn "I'm so official, all I need is a whistle" as Dwayne Carter once said. Not everything's that easy, and not everything's going to come quickly and surely. But like Carrey said, "You can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well do something that you love." 

And while you do that, figure out what you can contribute to society, whether it be on a large span or as small as always opening doors for the someone who looks like they need it, or even someone who looks like they don't. Maybe the events of last week just got me all thoughtful and such. Maybe I'm just "making noise" like Carrey says and "that's all that matters." But I wanted to show people the video if they hadn't seen it. Hopefully it'll make you laugh. Hopefully it'll make you pumped up for life. Go out there and do something new. Accept it if it's not perfect, that's what I'm doing. Just going to see what happens and where it takes me. And maybe I'll ask a couple people what they're favorite dinosaur is on the way....you know, standard procedure.

Sincerely, Stephanie xoxo

"I have no limits. I cannot be contained because I am the container." What a perfect way to describe the legend he is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment